Thursday, May 12, 2016

I remember Tony Cozier

Tony Cozier died today! The shocking words came via WhatsApp from a friend who lives in Barbados. That same friend had posted, a few weeks earlier, a photograph taken with Cozier as they took in a cricket match in which my friend’s son was involved. My reaction then was that Tony didn’t look as robust as I had grown accustomed to seeing him but not even that prepared me for this latest news. After all, he was still churning out columns up until the beginning of the month! I didn’t doubt my friend but I made some checks of my own and confirmed that the man, who had become a legend in cricketing circles, was no more.

It took a while for this news to “sink in” and then I started reminiscing. I remembered the first time I listened to a cricket match on the radio, the 1979 World Cup final, and was so enamored I looked forward to hearing more – of him and compatriot Reds Perreira.  I must admit Cozier was the one I looked forward to hearing more than any other. I felt I was in the sunny stands in Australia, or gloomy England, or wherever else he chose to follow the West Indies. He was clear, concise, drafted in stats without breaking stride, had a sense of humor, and most importantly had an accent I could understand. I can still remember asking my cousin “who is Desmond Hinds?” when the West Indies went Down Under after the same World Cup. It was only when the Aussie commentator gave way to Tony I realized the player in question was in fact Desmond Haynes.

I remembered later on looking forward to his Sunday columns and match coverage in the Stabroek News, even though it was the “competition” to my employers the Guyana Chronicle. And why not? He was the foremost authority on cricket in the West Indies. His columns were used as a point of reference in many an argument and he invariably selected teams even before selectors sat down to think about it.

I remembered his West Indies Cricket Annual (a most prized possession) which covered every aspect of the regional game from 1970 to 1991; and the Caribbean Cricket Quarterly, which I was honored to be associated with. I remembered feeling proud to have him commentate on a game in which I was involved as a player, and having him refer to me as “one of us”. (I have that tape).
His physical presence is no longer with us but his legend lives on. The doyen of Caribbean cricket journalism he will always be. Rest In Peace Tony Cozier.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment